Waste to energy power plant, Alonsotegui, Biscay, Spain. Zabalgarbi, with its SENER-2 technology, is a high-effi ciency [+]
Municipal solid waste (msw)
SENER has developed and patented high efficiency steam cycles with tried-and-tested robustness in the energy recovery of municipal solid waste (MSW), which can overcome the corrosion limitations typical of conventional thermodynamic cycles thanks to the presence of chlorine in MSW.
These are thermodynamic cycles known as SENER-2 and SENER-4, which are regenerative processes with reheating in two-body steam turbines, with high steam pressure and low temperature, capable of overcoming the traditional technical and economic disadvantages of MSW treatment.
The benefits provided by this SENER solution are:
- reduction of corrosion problems in the furnace (T<400 °C)
- increase of overall performance > 50%
Environmental and social:
- primary energy savings through renewables: 47% (≈ 44,000 TEQ/year)
- replacement of primary energy with renewable energy in an amount corresponding to 23,500 TEQ/year
- reduction of CO2 emissions equivalent to 440,000 t/year
- reduction of environmental impact by kWhe
- improved availability
- reduced operating and maintenance costs
- reduced costs for MSW treatment and management
This has been used at the Zabalgarbi MSW plant in Bilbao (Spain), in commercial operation since 2004.
Related content with
As part of the work carried out by SENER in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), people working at the NOORo solar complex in Ouarzazate (Morocco) helped to build a soccer field to official standard measurements.... [+]
SENER and MONDRAGON UNIBERTSITATEA reach an agreement to collaborate on developing technology and managing talent
The agreement covers partnerships for technological and non-technological fields of learning relating to activities of mutual interest, the exchange and transfer of knowledge between the two organizations, and training.... [+]