Waste to energy power plant, Alonsotegui, Biscay, Spain. Zabalgarbi, with its SENER-2 technology, is a high-effi ciency [+]
Municipal solid waste (msw)
SENER has developed and patented high efficiency steam cycles with tried-and-tested robustness in the energy recovery of municipal solid waste (MSW), which can overcome the corrosion limitations typical of conventional thermodynamic cycles thanks to the presence of chlorine in MSW.
These are thermodynamic cycles known as SENER-2 and SENER-4, which are regenerative processes with reheating in two-body steam turbines, with high steam pressure and low temperature, capable of overcoming the traditional technical and economic disadvantages of MSW treatment.
The benefits provided by this SENER solution are:
- reduction of corrosion problems in the furnace (T<400 °C)
- increase of overall performance > 50%
Environmental and social:
- primary energy savings through renewables: 47% (≈ 44,000 TEQ/year)
- replacement of primary energy with renewable energy in an amount corresponding to 23,500 TEQ/year
- reduction of CO2 emissions equivalent to 440,000 t/year
- reduction of environmental impact by kWhe
- improved availability
- reduced operating and maintenance costs
- reduced costs for MSW treatment and management
This has been used at the Zabalgarbi MSW plant in Bilbao (Spain), in commercial operation since 2004.
Related content with Municipal solid waste (msw)
The SENER Foundation has sent out the call for entrants to the sixth edition of the SENER Foundation Best Doctoral Thesis Award. The SENER Foundation has sent out the call for entrants to the sixth edition of the SENER Foundation Best Doctoral Thesis Award.... [+]
The engineering and technology group SENER is ranked 32nd in the annual ranking of the top 225 international companies in engineering design published by the specialized journal ENR (Engineering News-Record).... [+]